Here is the release from Starboard: We are excited by where the sport is heading and in line with our mission to support the sport at all levels we are putting together a race team for 2010. We are also working on various other projects to help nurture and grow the sport of stand up paddling and are looking forward to a great 2010.
We have assigned John Hibbard as Team Manager of this exciting project so over to John to give you all the details:
Hello all Stand Up Paddle Addicts. I've been lucky enough to spend large portions of the last two years travelling the world and experiencing the growth of Stand Up Paddle Boarding. One of the most rapid areas of growth I have seen has been in the racing discipline. From the 30 mile Cape Code Bay Challenge in Boston, The Ultra Endurance 11 City Tour in Holland, The SUP World Cup in Germany and the ultimate trip to California to compete in the Battle of The Paddle I have learnt a lot about racing, training, tactics, fitness and technique. I want to pass this information on and what better way than by forming a team of passionate paddlers here in the UK.
Who are we looking for?
We are not looking for tip top athletes. The most important thing is that you are interested in improving your all round paddle skills and fitness. It doesn't even matter if you've never raced before. As long as you are keen to enter some races in 2010 then you are a perfect applicant.
What is the commitment?
As a member of the team we would expect you to:
- Enter a minimum of 4 race events in 2010. That could be BSUPA races, Paddle Round the Pier Distance race, Animal Windfest Races, or a race event you organise yourself.
- Be an upstanding member of the Stand Up Paddle Surfing Community and support the sport in your local area.
What do you get?
- Team Discount on up to 2 Starboard Race boards (12'6"Pin, K15, 14'8" Point)
- Team Discount on up to 2 Starboard Paddles
- A set of Starboard Clothing (to be launched in 2010)
- 4 x Training days throughout the winter- focussing on technique, tactics and fitness
- Entry in to Special Starboard events (we are planning some cool stuff for 2010)
- @ event support from John Hibbard
- Regular training tips email from various members of the International Starboard Race Team
How do you apply?
Just send in the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org and your application will be reviewed by the team at Starboard UK. The closing date for entries is the 11th December and the full team line up will be announced on Monday 14th December.
There are 6 places on the team so get submitting your entries now. We are looking for 2 of the 6 team members to be Ladies.
Please send in the following information:
Paddling Standing up since:
Local paddling area:
Race Results so far:
Aims for 2010:
Send the above information to email@example.com . We look forward to recieving your entry application. If you have any questions please either email us or put them in the comments box below. We aim to respond to all questions within 24 hours.