Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Blue Chip SUPer Club

Blue Chip SUPer Club 8 years, 9 months ago #1440

• bluechip
  • Fresh Boarder
Our first paddle to the Airport

We kicked off at 18:00 from Weybridge where the Wey Navigation Canal splits
from the River Wey. Paul was delayed in traffic but en route.

We headed off up the River Wey minus Paul and the river soon opened up to its full glory.
This was Emma’s first river excursion.

The river was lined with weeping willows and such like.

Julian, Rob, Andy and myself decided to take the scenic route around an island only
to find the exit blocked by fallen trees, so Julian, Rob and myself went back over-land
to the main channel and Andy did a quick double back to the river. The over-landers
took on some stinging nettles - Julian found some small dock leaves and Rob found
his own supply of giant dock leaves.

The river opened up with some fields on our right

before closing in again with dense vegetation on both sides.

We soon came across the main Byfleet railway bridge where we found a couple
of dogs swimming.

Then we had our first glimpse of our goal:- Brooklands. The boundaries of Brooklands
were defined by the Brooklands railway bridge.

Just in front of the bridge the water shallowed and the current increased somewhat.
We had to move to the front of the boards and paddle like crazy, or like Rob, get off and
then get back on again.

At this point Julian’s board succumbed to the strong current and flipped him into the
shallows, this was to be only the first dunking of the evening.
We paddled up to the bridge and took a break. I decided that as the light was beginning
to fade I would paddle on into Brooklands and take some images. So I paddled a careful
route through the array of metal scrap that had been thrown into the river and on to our
goal. Passing the Brooklands famous banked race track and sign wall

where the World's first air ticket office is situated.

Passed Mercedes World

and on to where I could also see some of the aircrafts on the opposite side of the bank.

I paddled on up passed the famous Brooklands chequered flag.

Then Gordon came paddling up to meet me and broke the news about Robs misdemeanour

Rob had come a cropper..! When Rob had first fallen off his board, it had been much to
the amusement of everyone until they realised that he had cut his leg on something sharp
under the water.
Andy and Emma paddled back with Rob so that he could get some proper
medical attention.

We tracked back, under the Brooklands railway bridge, to where After hearing this
Paul and Julian also joined Gordon and myself and we decided to turn around to catch up with
Rob and the others. Now dusk was really setting in as we paddled back to our cars.

We caught up with the others as they were just getting out and I must say, Rob’s leg looked a
mess. We packed up without delay and Rob set off for the hospital.
Nearly forgot to mention to make the evening complete, Emma also took a dive just as she
was about to get out at the end. Well done Emma.
Brian at Blue Chip

Blue Chip SUPer Club 7 years, 4 months ago #2499

• jay
  • Senior Boarder
jsup be working more with blue chip on the thames, awesome place to paddle few more weeks maybe then sup club will be on.... if you not done the thames get on board this year....

Blue Chip SUPer Club 7 years, 4 months ago #2506

• tonks
  • Expert Boarder
Do you ever paddle in the Chiswick area?
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds

Subscribe to our newsletter

Email:

Confirm email address:

Receive emails in HTML format:

As featured in Essential Travel Magazine

Subscribe to our RSS Feed

stand up paddle RSS feedSubscribe in a reader
All content © Copyrighted & Exclusive to SUPGlobal.com
Stand Up Paddle Surfing